Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Winter Gardening

This time of year is hard for me.  I can't get out and play in the garden.  This year I'm  also recuperating from surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (and yes - I am right handed and typing this with my left hand).  However, the gardening catalogs are coming in and so future wishes and dreams are dancing in my brain.
I'll be sharing my favorite catalogs and gardening sites during the next few posts.  Find yourself a pen and notebook so that you can keep track of plants and supplies that you are dreaming about.  Writing things down for a gardening journal is a great way to keep track of plants you are looking for either by catalog, internet, or at your local nurseries.

"Nature looks dead in winter because her life is gathered into her heart.  She withers the plant down to the root that she may grow it up again fairer and stronger.  She calls her family together within her inmost home to prepare them for being scattered abroad upon the face of the earth."  
-Hugh Macmillan, 'Rejuvenescence,'  The Ministry of Nature, 1871
 And there in my garden  hidden down at the bottom of a bunch of dry, dead growth is a future promise in the form of a little touch of green.  I can be patient and wait for warmer weather as I continue to heal. There's lots of dreaming and planning to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment